Monday, January 7, 2008

GUEST AUTHOR: Lila Dupres

Bonjour!

I'm so excited to be the guest author today here at Ladies of The Club. I'm so happy to meet you all!

My name is Lila Duprés and my first book, ALL WORK AND NO PLAY, is available from Ellora’s Cave in their Torrid Tarot line. More about that in a bit.

With the holidays just past, I wonder how many of you made New Year’s resolutions? I'm of the opinion there are two types of resolution makers.

1) The “shoot for the moon” resolution maker who resolves to do things (s)he would like to achieve very much, but are virtually out of reach in the real world. This type of person figures, “If I'm making a resolution, I might as well grab for the brass ring.” This person is often disappointed when they fail to reach their desired goal, but they feel better for having tried.

2) The “cautious” resolution maker who only makes resolutions (s)he knows (s)he can achieve. In this way, no great things are accomplished; but by the same token, there are no heartbreaks when the desired goal cannot be achieved. This person feels there’s safety and comfort in setting small, manageable goals and then achieving them.

So, which type of resolution maker are you?I myself am the showy #1 resolution maker. If I'm going to fail, I want to go down in a blaze of glory. And if I succeed...ah, the praise, the accolades, the triumph! Naturally, I have to steel some small part of my heart for failure each time, but the larger part of me presses ahead, sure of victory. It’s who I am.

And now, as promised, more about ALL WORK AND NO PLAY:Here's where you can find it:http://www.ellorascave.com/productpage.asp?ISBN=9781419913532

Here’s the blurb:Julie Preston worked hard raising her younger sister Emily after their parents died, and creating a career. She gave up simple pleasures like love and relationships. So when a friend drags her to a singles bar, Julie’s ready for anything. She meets a gorgeous guy and they spend several passionate hours together. There’s real chemistry there, but Julie regretfully sticks to her promise: a one-night stand, no strings.

When Julie hires a tutor to help Emily pass English, she’s shocked to find he’s the man from the bar. Seeing him in her house makes it hard to keep her hands off him, but he isn't looking for a long-term relationship since he’s a singles bar patron. Right? How many miles can Julie jog before she gives in and jumps him?

An Excerpt From: ALL WORK AND NO PLAY
Copyright © LILA DUPRÉS, 2007
All Rights Reserved, Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

Julie dropped her purse on a table and her coat over a chair and looked around the room. Clearly, the hotel got much of its business from the singles bar. Even ignoring the desk clerk’s knowing expression and wink, the room decor said it all. The drapes were red velvet, the bedspread red brocade with gold threads shot through it, and the walls covered in red and gold flocked wallpaper. It was schlocky, like something she expected to see in a honeymoon motel in the Poconos. No doubt there was also a heart-shaped tub in the bathroom. Ooh…maybe she could find some bubble bath? Surely a place like this would have it?
“Anne?”Julie jumped at the sound of Stephen’s voice, feeling guilty for her wandering thoughts.
“Sorry. Did you say something?”
“Is something wrong? Are you all right?” He frowned, looking concerned.
Julie felt the heat rise up her neck and into her cheeks. Here she was, standing in the middle of the room and zoning out. Or was she desperately focusing on the furnishings because she was nervous about what was about to take place? After all, though she wasn't a virgin, her experience was limited and several years in the past.
“I'm fine,” she said. “Nothing’s wrong.”
He smiled charmingly, a boyish dimple in his right cheek sending an arrow straight to her heart.
“Although I hope you haven't changed your mind, if you’re having second thoughts, it’s not too late to say so. I can take ‘no’ for an answer. I want that to be perfectly clear—we can stop at any time if you feel uncomfortable.”
“No, I'm not uncomfortable. Thank you, though. It’s just that I’ve…” never done anything like this before. But she couldn't say that. Stephen wouldn't have come to a singles club to find a girl who didn't know the ropes, would he? He probably did this every weekend—that thought sent a vicious stab of jealousy through her gut—and he expected she did also.
“I'm fine,” she repeated. “I was just woolgathering. Don't worry, I haven't changed my mind.”
“Good.” He stepped close to her and trailed the back of his hand lingeringly over her cheek. “Because you’re an amazingly beautiful woman and I don't know how much longer I can keep my distance when I really want to—”
“Shh.” Julie put her index finger on his lips. His soft, warm, sexy lips. “Don't say a word. You don't have to say anything you don't mean. I don't expect any promises from you, any commitments. Let’s just be quiet and enjoy each other. After all, that’s why we’re here. Right?”
Stephen raised his eyebrows, opened his mouth as if to speak, then closed it and nodded.
Julie stepped over to the window and drew the drapes securely shut. Then she turned on the radio, tuning it to a soft jazz station and lowering the volume to create a pleasing whisper of background sound.
She returned to Stephen and spread her hands out on his chest, savoring the feel of his strong pectoral muscles flexing under her fingers. She smiled a bit tremulously but she knew this was right. It felt right. She opened one of the buttons on his shirt, allowing her fingers to gently brush the skin she exposed. Then she opened the next one and the next. Stephen shivered as she ran her fingers through the curly dark hair on his chest, allowing her nails to graze his nipples lightly, then pushing the shirt back and off his shoulders. His broad, masculine shoulders.
Stephen’s blue eyes bored into her as he reached in turn for her shirt, slowly unbuttoning her buttons, kissing each inch of flesh he thus exposed. Now it was Julie’s chance to shiver. She arched her back like a cat, reveling in the feel of his fingers on her skin. She scarcely noticed when her blouse fell to the floor behind her.
He dropped his attention lower, sucking and nibbling on one nipple through the wispy pink bra she wore while gently kneading the other breast. A shuddering stab of desire shot through her and she felt the crotch of her panties grow damp. God, it felt so good to have a man touch her. Why had she denied herself this feeling, this need for so long?

Whatever else you do, please do check out the fabulous cover art. Is he not...er...I mean...is IT not gorgeous? I think I'm in love. Come to me, mon cher...(Sounds of “La Vie En Rose” in the background)

Ah, well. Enough of that. I'll stop drooling if you will. It’s been fun sharing this moment with you all. May 2008 be your happiest year yet!

Till next time,Lila

1 comment:

Estella said...

I don't make resolutions---I know they will just fall by the wayside.