Monday, March 10, 2008

What makes a hero a hero?

I was thinking of this for a couple of reasons. I just read Angela Knight's Passionate Ink about writing erotic romance and also read a blog somewhere about what an Alpha hero was. The characteristics in both were a little different.

I thought I wonder what makes a hero a hero? And started thinking about what makes one for me. In no particular order...

  1. Intelligence is a big one for me. I want a smart guy.
  2. Humor is another biggie. My husband can make me laugh on the worst of days. And I love him for that.
  3. Peseverence. When the tough get going, they keep pace right beside. They also do what they say they will.
  4. Loyalty. They keep the faith.
  5. Leadership. People follow them, sometimes though they don't really want to.

Some of my favorite heroes include Chris from This is all I ask, Julian from Fantasy Lover, Ramiel from The Lady's Tutor, Mal from Firefly and Serenity, and Jack from Torchwood. There are others, LOL. This is the short list.

So what makes a hero a hero for you? And who are some of your favorites?

Mechele aka Lany of Melany Logen

www.mechelearmstrong.com

www.melanylogen.com

2 comments:

J L said...

This is a tough one because it's such a subjective topic. I think you hit on a few things, but I'd add 'humility' or something like that. A hero often doesn't know he's a hero. He's just doing the Right Thing.

Mechele Armstrong said...

Oohhh good one! You are exactly right. Heroes just do what they need to do.