Monday, February 4, 2008

Nora says it all

First, let it be known that I’m always behind in my reading. I buy tons of books and they end up stacked in a small bookcase near my reading chair. At least in theory they end up there. In practice, that small bookcase is always crammed full and overflowing, with books stacked in multiple piles on top and on the floor around it. There’s just never enough time for all the reading I want to do.

When my husband or kids ask why I keep buying books when I already have so many I haven’t read, I just tell them that if I ever get sick or injured I want to be sure I have plenty of reading material available. They shake their heads and mutter about “Mom’s quirks.”

That’s not the point of this post, however, just an excuse for why it’s taken me so long to get around to reading this book. I bought it in hard cover because I’d heard enough about it to feel confident it would be going to my keeper shelf.

Nora Roberts’ ANGELS FALL was a terrific read, delivering all the intricate plotting, suspense, interesting characterization and surprising twists I’d hoped for. It also delivered a bonus, two sentences that absolutely encapsulate exactly why I read genre fiction.

On page 149 of the hardback edition, the heroine says to the hero, “’If justice doesn’t triumph, and love doesn’t make the circle in entertainment fiction, what’s the point? Real life sucks too often.”’

Exactly.

-- Katherine Kingston

1 comment:

N.J.Walters said...

Amen!

I think that's why writers write and readers read. Real life throws enough at you on a daily basis. A really great romance book can take you somewhere else for a while where problems get resolved, love prevails, and the good guys win!