Monday, January 26, 2009

Welcome to Winter!

The pretty lights and sparkles of December have given way to the seeming unending darkness of January. In many parts of the world, the cold, bleak winter has settled in now that the holidays are behind us. I know it’s cold and snowy where I live.

Now, that’s great if you’re an outdoor enthusiast. There’s skiing, skating, hitting the trails on your snowmobile and a host of other snow-related activities to participate in. I, however, am not a winter person. I much prefer the sunny, hot days of summer, which is ironic considering I live in a place where there is definitely more winter than summer. This is the time of year I tend to make like a bear and hibernate.

Now it’s not all bad. I do like to go out for walks on those crisp, cold winter days when the wind is not blowing a gale. This is also the time of year I like to stockpile my writing so when it gets warmer I can take some time off. From January to May, I like to write two or three books, depending on length. Summer is an easy time to write as well because of the long days and hours of sunshine. Personally, I find autumn the hardest season of all to get any work done. And you can forget getting anything done during the month of December. You’d think I’d learn, but each year I tell myself I’ll get so much writing done before the holidays hit and wind up disappointed.

Oh well, it’s a new year and winter is a good time to curl up inside and get some good writing done. It’s also a great time to curl up with one of the many books in my TBR pile and enjoy. After all, you can’t work all the time and there are plenty of long, cold nights ahead that are perfect for curling up with a cup of tea, a blanket and a good book.

The wind is howling and rattling the windowpanes, the snow is whipping up outside, and summer is but a distant memory. But I’m nice and toasty inside. All in all, it’s not so bad.

Welcome to Winter.

Emotional~Sensual~Satisfying Reads!
http://www.njwalters.com
http://www.njwalters.blogspot.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/awakeningdesires/ (newsletter group)
THREAD OF DESTINY—Ellora’s Cave
BY THE BOOK—Samhain Publishing

2 comments:

Anny Cook said...

I actually like winter because you can snuggle in the covers with a book and cup of tea and not feel guilty. Work? What work?

Sigh. Now enough of fantasy as I go back to work.

N.J.Walters said...

That's the best thing about winter, Anny. Snuggling under a blanket with a steaming cup of tea and a good book. I plan to do that later today.

Work first. Snuggle later. LOL