Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mechele was right: life comes at you fast

I had the flu on Wednesday night -- all night, on the bathroom floor, ugly -- flu. To add insult to injury, I'd also had 2 bursitis shots in my hips earlier in the day, so lying on the floor was amazingly painful. Oh, and I also had 2 hours of dental work done earlier in the day, so I had a headache and jaw ache that was unbelievable. Then I got the flu!

I was whipped on Thursday and pretty much vegged out in between steralizing my house: loads of laundry, wiping down surfaces, etc. On Friday I thought I was okay so I went to the office, but I got beat really fast so came home and stayed unmotivated all day, lounging in front of TV, a thing I NEVER do. I dabbled in email, did a couple of edits, considered my WIP, then said, 'ah, the hell with it.'

I'm feeling somewhat normal today, at least able to face the possibility of doing a few errands and resuming my life. The upside of all this has been I lost weight (8 pounds) and it's made me realize some things about my relationship to food. For example: I really don't need to eat that much food in one day. I got along on Thursday with a lot less than I thought I needed and managed okay. If I bump up my portion sizes just a tad, it would be right.

It also made me realize that I can afford to take a day off now and again. My 'schedule' is really flexible and I can decide if I want to participate in group chats, blogs, etc., or not. I can vanish for a few days and it's all okay.

I'm on vacation for 10 days now (wow. It's been a LONG time since I had that kind of vacation). I'm at home until Wednesday when we're off to Florida for a writing adventure. I'm so thankful to have the flu behind me and a vacation ahead of me. I'll do a few 'to do things' today then I can veg out once again, resume edits, think about my WIP, and start to get back to normal...

Not a bad end to a bad week ....

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi, I ran across this blog somewhere on the blog-o-sphere. Your night sounds awful! I hope you are feeling better now.

Mechele Armstrong said...

Hope you are feeling better!